January 13th 2023, I am learning the Linux operating system. It is very familiar to me and it isn’t all at the same time. Reading reviews and having something are two different monsters. I can see what people are complaining about with the SteamDeck, but it’s minor. It is a solid machine, but there is soo much to learn.
This is only for the 512 Model (First Night)
- Anti Glare Screen is pretty good.
- The etched glass doesn’t hinder the visuals.
- Even though the display is LCD, the brightness makes up for it. This version doesn’t need to be an oled display.
- I had to update the steam official dock before using it. (Literally had to plug it in)
- Smudges are a minor complaint since the screen is literally a touch screen. Use the MicroFiber cloth or deal with the smudges.
- it looks bulky, but the argonomics feel comfortable along with it feeling lightweight .
- if I had to live with Linux as an operating system, I can survive on Linux.
- Proton is a good runner for Steam Based Games on Linux, while Lutris + Wine is good runner for certain Windows.exe games that don’t have anti-cheat
- Desktop Mode is hella impressive.
- I literally fell asleep with my SteamDeck in the bed with me.
- Windows games work so much better in Desktop Mode with Linux. But there is no way to escape Anti-cheat unless I am going to the route of Dual Booting. (Which opens up another can of worms)
Last but not least, I lost some sleep but it’s nothing coffee can’t fix. Linux is far from intimidating. I learned Mac OS as a kid, grew up with Windows and yesterday was the very first time I tried Linux. Customization couldn’t get any better with the Steamdeck.